Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Logie Easter Parish Church

Burial Ground (19th Century), Church (19th Century)

Site Name Logie Easter Parish Church

Classification Burial Ground (19th Century), Church (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Logie Easter Old Parish Church

Canmore ID 14548

Site Number NH77NE 6

NGR NH 77750 76040

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/14548

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Logie Easter
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Architecture Notes

The original LOGIE EASTER PARISH CHURCH was the church at NH77NW 9. This church replaced NH77NW 9 as LOGIE EASTER PARISH CHURCH when it was built around 1818, and was itself replaced as Parish Church by the church at NH77NE 8 (former United Free Church). At present, NH77NE 8 remains as the Parish Church.

Description:

1818-20. Rectangular, Gothic church with dummy tower.

Coursed square rubble, mixed grey and red; ashlar dressings.

Narrow rectangular tower, slightly advanced in centre

west gable rising two small stages above ridge and

terminating in corbelled, crenellated parapet and angle

pinnacles; string courses; stone clock face with incised

figures in upper stage with cusped blind occulus below.

Pointed headed doorway in base of tower with similarly

headed window above and in flanking bays, imposing

projecting porch in centre, south elevation, with engaged

angle clustered columns and pointed headed entrance under

moulded cornice; long, flanking pointed-headed windows,

slate roof; finial at east apex.

Galleried interior in very poor condition.

Burial ground: coped rubble walls; square ashlar gate

piers with pyramidal caps and pair cast-iron gates.

Notes:

Church disused and dilapidated. Unusual tower, similar to

that at Duirinish Parish Church, Dunvegan, Skye.

References:

INVERNESS JOURNAL, Jan 19, 1818. INVERNESS CHRONICLE,

Jan 22, 1818. Advertisement for tenders. THE NEW

STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, (1836) xiv, p.53. George Hay, THE

ARCHITECTURE OF THE POST-REFORMATION CHURCH IN SCOTLAND

(1957) P.279.

Information from Historic Scotland List Description.

Listed 1971, de-listed 2010.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions