Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Leith Docks, West Old Dock

Dock (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Leith Docks, West Old Dock

Classification Dock (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Queen's Dock

Canmore ID 145473

Site Number NT27NE 57.32

NGR NT 26590 76808

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/145473

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27NE 57.32 26590 76808

Formerly entered as NT27NE 284 at cited location NT 2663 7683.

For dry docks on the N side of the West Old Dock (at NT 26638 76881 and NT 26683 76870), see NT27NE 57.51 and NT27NE 57.52 respectively.

The portion of the West Dock belonging to the Admiralty was known as Queen's Dock

S Mowat [1994].

Only the East Dock entrance (NT27NE 57.33) can now be seen of the Rennie's Old Docks at Leith. The West and East Old Docks (NT27NE 57.32 and NT27NE 57.41 respectively) were apparently infilled by 1974, when their area is indicated as an open space on the OS 1:1250 map. This area is now occupied by the Victoria Quay building (NT27NE 861) of the Scottish Executive (formerly Scottish Office).

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 14 February 2006.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions