Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

East Arkleston, Moorpark

Anti Aircraft Battery (20th Century)

Site Name East Arkleston, Moorpark

Classification Anti Aircraft Battery (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) S13; Clyde Aa Defences; Hillington Estate

Canmore ID 144885

Site Number NS56NW 87

NGR NS 5122 6614

NGR Description Centred NS 5130 6615

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/144885

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Renfrewshire
  • Parish Paisley (Renfrew)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Renfrew
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS56NW 87 centred 5130 6615

A four emplacement anti-aircraft battery with accommodation camp has been identified from wartime oblique aerial photographs (No.1 CAM AJ 829 and AJ 830, flown 1942) on the N side of the Rolls Royce factory at Hillington.

Information from RCAHMS (DE) May 1999

Examination of an earlier WW II RAF vertical aerial photograph (A309, 2607, flown 1 May 1941 [SC910887)) shows this anti-aircraft battery was originally constructed with earth banked gun-emplacements and command area suggesting this may have been a mobile AA site. In addition the original accommodation area is visible as a tented camp. In addition a fresh bomb crater has been noted immediately to the W.

The battery was situated amongst a series of anti-landing trenches/ditches which formerly occupied many of the fields to the N and NW. Much of this area, including the former Renfrew Golf Course, has now been utilised for modern housing. Only the King George W Memorial playing fields survive in this area as an open space.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), September 2004

Activities

Field Visit (19 July 2017)

Nothing is visible in an area now occupied by the M8 motorway and modern housing of a Second World War heavy anti-aircraft battery which is recorded on contemporary RAF vertical aerial photography. Images taken on 1 May 1941 show the site as a temporary emplacement (M/065/A309/2607). A later image (CAM/022 AJ829-30), taken on 29 June 1942, provides evidence that the site had been developed into a permanent site, though the expansion of the adjoining Renfrew Airfield in late 1942 and early 1943 resulted in its removal (Smith 1983). It was one of at least 43 such batteries that were constructed to protect the industries in the centre of Glasgow and along the banks of the River Clyde from aerial attack by the Luftwaffe.

Visited by HES, Survey and Recording (ATW, ARG) 19 July 2017.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions