Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Spottiswoode

Country House (19th Century)

Site Name Spottiswoode

Classification Country House (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Spottiswoode Estate; Spottiswoode House

Canmore ID 144862

Site Number NT64NW 33

NGR NT 60378 49834

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/144862

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Westruther
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Berwickshire
  • Former County Berwickshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

Spottiswoode House was the seat of the Spottiswoodes, a prominent Borders family who held the house and estate until the early years of the twentieth century. It is unclear exactly when a house was first built on this site, but records reveal a cycle of building, ruination, rebuilding and alterations, which culminated in the final demolition of the house in 1939.

It is very likely that the first house of Spottiswoode was a tower-house of late medieval date. At this period, when local and national conflicts were a regular occurrence it was important to live in a place that could be defended if necessary. No trace of this early structure has survived.

In the early eighteenth century, a new house was built. This is thought to have been a plain laird's house, which, though maintaining the use of thick walls and small windows, had less need for defence.

In 1832, the building was extended through the construction of a new wing to the south-west, designed by the architect William Burn. At the same time, the original building was altered to match the character of the new addition. The enlarged house was ornate in appearance, with curved Dutch gables, dome-topped turrets and elaborate balustrades.

In 1939, the building was demolished on account of structural faults, but other estate buildings such as the kennels, stables and gate-lodges were retained.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

Archaeology Notes

NT64NW 33.00 60378 49834

NT54NE 40 59831 49750 Bruntaburn Archway

NT54NE 41 59841 49756 West Lodge

NT54NE 63 58596 48262 Pyatshaw Archway

NT64NW 2 60406 49870 Whitechapel

NT64NW 33.01 6028 4990 Groom's House with Coach Houses and Stables

NT64NW 33.02 60492 49884 Well

NT64NW 33.03 60516 49840 Ice-House

NT64NW 33.04 60259 49896 Kennels

NT64NW 33.05 60455 49779 Walled Garden

NT64NW 33.06 60255 49936 and 60309 49945 Outbuildings

NT64NW 33.07 NT c. 604 498 Bear's Den

NT64NW 33.08 60315 49896 Boundary Wall

NT64NW 33.09 NT c. 601 495 Paddock Hall Cottage

NT64NW 33.10 61119 47534 East Clock Lodge

NT64NW 34 60441 49875 Dovecot

NT64NW 40 61098 47537 West Clock Lodge

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

Demolished c. 1928

Activities

Desk Based Assessment (1 January 2010 - 31 March 2011)

The former Spottiswoode estate was the family seat of the Spottiswoodes. The estate house which dated back to around 1700 was demolished in 1938 but some features of the old estate still survive including the Gothick arches, the eagle (or clock lodges) and the old coach house and stable block. Spottiswoode is most famous for Lady Jane Scott, who wrote the refined version of the song ‘Annie Laurie’.

Information from Oasis (cfaarcha1-74119) 15 November 2013

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions