Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St Regulus's Chapel

Chapel (Medieval) - (Post Medieval)

Site Name St Regulus's Chapel

Classification Chapel (Medieval) - (Post Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) St Rule's Chapel; Cromarty House Policies

Canmore ID 14482

Site Number NH76NE 6

NGR NH 79440 67090

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Cromarty
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH76NE 6 7944 6709

(NH 7944 6709) St. Regulus's Chapel (NR)

OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 1st ed., (1871).

St. Regulus's Chapel (NR) (No detail)

OS 6" map, (1959)

Of St. Regulus's or St. Rule's Chapel only the foundations remain. In the 16th century it was a high-gabled building with a mausoleum attached to its west gable.

Whether this was a Celtic foundation dedicated to the 6th century Riagal (Lat. Regulus) of Mucinis (March 30th) or a Roman Catholic dedication to Regulus, a 4th century Greek monk (Oct. 16th), is not known.

H Miller 1835; W F Skene 1863; H Scott et al 1915-61; W J Watson 1926; G Mackennzie 1958.

There is no trace of St. Regulus's Chapel, but local tradition has it that it stood at the NE end of the graveyard which is still in use. The U-shaped ruin showed on the OS 25" map is the entrance to an underground mausoleum.

Re-surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (N K B), 28 January 1966.

Cromarty Court House Museum preserves an annotated sketch plan and view of the chapel ruins, dated 30 September 1815.

See image on Scottish Cultural Resources Access Network (SCRAN) (entry 000-000-598-760-R).

(Undated) information in NMRS.


Field Visit (May 1979)

Cromarty, St Regulus' Chapel NH 794 670 NH76NE 6

Nothing now remains of the pre-Reformation family chapel of the Urquhart's which was noted in 1794 to the E of Cromarty House.

RCAHMS 1979, visited May 1979

Stat;· Acct, ix (1794), 259; NSA, xiv (Ross and Cromarty), 15


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions