Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 141 Redford Road, Redford House, Drummond Scrolls

Lodge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 141 Redford Road, Redford House, Drummond Scrolls

Classification Lodge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Lodge

Canmore ID 144619

Site Number NT26NW 117

NGR NT 22487 68755

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/144619

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT26NW 117 22487 68755

NT26NW 45.00 22530 68781 Redford House (133-135 Redford Road; Main House and East Wing)

NT26NW 45.01 2262 6962 Workmen's cottages

NT26NW 115 22511 68779 Redford House (137 Redford Road; West Redford House; West Wing)

NT26NW 321 2260 6881 Grounds

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (20 May 2000)

Two massive scrolls with leaf and flower carving, built into the south wall of the stable block at Redford House.

At the west end of the stable block are the top halves of two Ionic pilasters and a niche which contained the statue of George II when the niche was on the old Royal Infirmary.

Originally on the Royal Infirmary, built by William Adam in 1738 (demolished 1884). Drummond Scrolls is the name of the stable block of Redford House, built c.1884 by the then owner R. A. Macfie of Dreghorn.

Inscriptions : Below niche between Ionic pilasters (raised letters): GEORGIVS II REX

On stone on ground (incised letters): GEORGE DRUMMOND / To whom / His Country is indebted / for all the Benefits / which it derives from / THE ROYAL INFIRMARY

Signatures : None

Design period : c. 1738 (Royal Infirmary)

Year of unveiling : 1884

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0380)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions