Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tillyfour, Steading

Farmstead

Site Name Tillyfour, Steading

Classification Farmstead

Alternative Name(s) Tillyfoure

Canmore ID 144607

Site Number NJ51SE 61

NGR NJ 59429 10352

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/144607

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2016.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Tough
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Tillyfour Steading, c.1840. Cattle courts on a majestic scale, behind an elongated symmetrical frontage, harled with

margins (with cartshed openings filled in), the pride of William McCombie MP (1805-80), 'the king of graziers', whose principal claim to fame (besides being the first tenant farmer to become a Member of Parliament - 1868, Liberal) is that he perfected the Aberdeen Angus breed of cattle. Queen Victoria visited his herd in 1866.

Taken from "Aberdeenshire: Donside and Strathbogie - An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Ian Shepherd, 2006. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Owner: Sir Ian Forbes-Leith of Fyvie, whose manager occupies the house. (Source - Aberdeenshire 3rd statistical account, pub.1960)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions