Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cromarty, The Paye, Gaelic Chapel

Chapel (18th Century)

Site Name Cromarty, The Paye, Gaelic Chapel

Classification Chapel (18th Century)

Canmore ID 14460

Site Number NH76NE 37

NGR NH 78825 67308

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/14460

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Cromarty
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH76NE 37.00 78825 67308

NH76NE 37.01 NH 7885 6730 burial-ground

Architecture Notes

DATES: 1783-erected by George Ross

1957-now disused. Interior stripped.

ARCHITECT: Robert Adam-design for a new parish church-presumably a design for the Gaelic Chapel and not executed.

PLANS: Mr Hay, 82 Priestfield Road states that he has recorded this to some extent.

Site Management (24 October 2013)

Symmetrical rectangular church roofless, with long north and south elevations.

Date stone inscribed ERECTED BY GEORGE ROSS ESQ ANNO DOMNI

1783. Built at sole expense of George Ross of Cromarty for the influx of Gaelic speaking people who came to English speaking Cromarty to work as a result of the Highland Clearances. (Historic Scotland)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions