Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 217 Sauchiehall Street, Willow Tea Rooms

Tea Room (20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, 217 Sauchiehall Street, Willow Tea Rooms

Classification Tea Room (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) 114, 116 Sauchiehall Lane; Miss Cranston's Tea Rooms, Daly's

Canmore ID 144200

Site Number NS56NE 784

NGR NS 58594 65839

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/144200

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images


First 100 images shown. See the Collections panel (below) for a link to all digital images.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Architecture Notes

NS56NE 784 58594 65839

Architect: Charles Rennie Mackintosh, converted part of former warehouse, fitted out in 1903-1904.

1920 absorbed by adjacent department store, Daly's

1979-1980 major reconstruction by Keppie Henderson & Partners

The last of four tearooms designed by Mackintosh for Miss Kate Cranston. Ground floor now occupied by a jewellery shop.

C McKean, D Walker, F A Walker 1989

Activities

Photographic Survey (January 1964)

Photographic survey of the interior of Daly's Department Store, Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow, by the Scottish National Buildings Record/Ministry of Works in 1964.

This was originally the Willow Tea Rooms, designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh for Miss Kate Cranston. It was incorporated into Daly's Department Store in the 1920s.

Standing Building Recording (August 2017)

NS 58594 65839 A survey was undertaken, August 2017, which included a photographic record and photo location plan of the building prior to refurbishment work and detailed recording of floorboards, marking out the location of carpets and other fixtures and fittings within the rooms.

Archive: NRHE (intended)

Funder: Simpson and Brown Architects

Kenneth Macfadyen – Addyman Archaeology

(Source: DES Vol 19)

Note

Honeyman, Keppie and Mackintosh made major alterations to the existing tenement building at 217 Sauchuiehall Street begining in 1903 to create The Willow Tea Rooms. Charles Rennie Mackintosh was named as the architect working for Miss Catherine Cranston. In 1906 Mackintosh made further alterations in the basement and in 1916-17 the Dug Out Tea Room was created in an adjacent basement. Nothing appears to survive of the Dug Out.

The Willow Tearooms were recorded as part of the Threatened Buildings Survey in October 2016. The survey was carried out after the building had been cleared and before the restoration work began. The opportunity was taken to record not only the surviving elements designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh but also the later alterations and additions particularly the works carried out in 1979-80.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions