Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Wester Dalziel Castle

Castle (Medieval)(Possible), Cropmark (Period Unknown)

Site Name Wester Dalziel Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)(Possible), Cropmark (Period Unknown)

Alternative Name(s) Castle Of Halhill; House Of Petty; Castle Of Petty; House Of Hall Hill

Canmore ID 14406

Site Number NH75SE 1

NGR NH 7534 5027

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/14406

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Petty
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH75SE 1 7534 5027.

(NH 7534 5026) Castle (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1906)

'...When standing it was occupied by the Ogilvies and was destroyed by the clan McIntosh about 130 (sic) years ago. There is no vestige of it now above ground,... its name cannot be ascertained'.

Name Book 1870.

'On it (this site) once stood the fortified house or castle of Halhill', and ibid 'The house of Petty, called Halhill'.

(George and Peter Anderson, Solicitors of Inverness, give no evidence for their re-naming of this site, they quote the same passages for the same charters as other authorities some of whom are cited here).

G Anderson and P Anderson 1863.

The Moy Hall MS mention the 'Castle of Petty' in in 1551 AD, but this date and earlier dates must refer either to an older castle on the same site as Castle Stuart or to the 'House of Hall Hill'.

T Wallace 1921.

'... Halhill Castle which is by some supposed to have stood on the site of the present Castle Stuart (see NH74NW 21) but by others is placed, with more probability, on the rising ground near the centre of the parish, at the school,..'.

F R Groome 1901.

The site of this Castle occupies the summit of a large and prominent hillock. It has been ploughed over and no vestige of any structure exists. No naming evidence was found.

Visited by OS (J L D) 24 April 1962.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions