Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Rosemarkie, Church Place, Rosemarkie Parish Church, Sculptured Stone

Carved Stone (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Rosemarkie, Church Place, Rosemarkie Parish Church, Sculptured Stone

Classification Carved Stone (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Rosemarkie Churchyard, No. 5

Canmore ID 14397

Site Number NH75NW 7.05

NGR NH 7372 5763

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/14397

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Rosemarkie
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

EARLY MEDIEVAL CARVED STONES PROJECT

Rosemarkie 5, Ross & Cromarty, church furniture, panel fragment

Measurements: H 0.41m, W 0.35m, D 0.05m

Stone type: sandstone

Place of discovery: NH 7372 5763

Present location: National Museums Scotland, Edinburgh (IB 120), on loan to Groam House Museum.

Evidence for discovery: found in the churchyard at Rosemarkie and given to the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland in 1885.

Present condition: worn, with three broken edges.

Description

This fragment is part of the top of a panel and is carved in relief both on face A and on face E. The top of face A has a border of loosely knotted interlace within two roll mouldings, with another roll moulding along the edge of the slab. The top narrow edge, face E, is carved with median-incised interlace. It may have been part of the front edge of an altar top.

Date: eighth or ninth century.

References: ECMS pt 3, 88; Henderson & Henderson 2004, 210-11; Seright & Henderson 2013, 14.

Desk-based information compiled by A Ritchie 2017.

Archaeology Notes

NH75NW 7.5 7372 5763

No. 5. This Class 3 sculptured stone measures 0.41m x 0.37m x 0.06m. One face bears the remains of an interlace border and a pitted area which may have been decorated. The other face bears the weathered remains of low relief ornamentation. One side bears a corded plait. Found in Rosemarkie churchyard and donated to the Royal Museum of Scotland (RMS, formerly the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland ([NMAS]) in 1885 by Major C Mackenzie (Accession no. IB 120).

Information from R Jones to RCAHMS, 1980.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions