Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Rosemarkie, Church Place, Rosemarkie Parish Church, Cross Slab

Cross Slab (Early Medieval)

Site Name Rosemarkie, Church Place, Rosemarkie Parish Church, Cross Slab

Classification Cross Slab (Early Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Rosemarkie Churchyard, No. 3

Canmore ID 14395

Site Number NH75NW 7.03

NGR NH 7372 5763

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/14395

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Rosemarkie
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH75NW 7.03 7372 5763

No. 3 A fragment of a Class 3 cross-slab dug up in the churchyard and donated to the Royal Museum of Scotland (RMS, formerly the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland [NMAS]) by Rev C Macdowall in 1885 (Accession no. IB 127), measures 11 1/2ins x 9ins x 2ins thick. One face bears a representation of a beast attacking a man.

J R Allen and J Anderson 1903; RCAHMS 1979.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions