Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Loanhead, Station Road, Loanhead Station, Booking Office

Railway Station (19th Century)-(20th Century)

Site Name Loanhead, Station Road, Loanhead Station, Booking Office

Classification Railway Station (19th Century)-(20th Century)

Canmore ID 143946

Site Number NT26NE 98

NGR NT 28352 65654

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Midlothian
  • Parish Lasswade
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District Midlothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT26NE 98.00 28352 65654

NT26NE 98.01 NT 28364 65655 House (Station Masters)

NT26NE 98.02 NT 28415 65694 Railway Goods Shed

This intermediate station on the Glencorse branch of the former North British Rly was opened on 23 July 1874 by the Edinburgh, Loanhead and Roslin Rly. It was closed to regular passenger traffic by the London and North Eastern Rly on 1 May 1933.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 22 April 1999.

R V J Butt 1995.

Brick building with slated roof. Painted sign 'Booking Office' above the entrance is possibly not original as illustration of 'passenger entrance' in 'The Glencorse Branch (Hurst, J, 1999, 78) shows the lintel above the door as blank. Some interior details survive including the ticket window and barrier (Hurst 1999).

The station is not depicted on the 1st Edition OS 6-inch map (Edinburghshire, 1854).

Visited by RCAHMS (DE, JM), 30 July 2009


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions