Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Rosemarkie, Church Place, Rosemarkie Parish Church, Sculptured Stone

Carved Stone (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Rosemarkie, Church Place, Rosemarkie Parish Church, Sculptured Stone

Classification Carved Stone (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Rosemarkie Churchyard, No. 2

Canmore ID 14394

Site Number NH75NW 7.02

NGR NH 7372 5763

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/14394

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Rosemarkie
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

EARLY MEDIEVAL CARVED STONES PROJECT

Rosemarkie 2, Ross & Cromarty, church furniture, panel fragments

Measurements: L 1.62m, H 0.53m-0.57m, D 0.05m

Stone type: grey sandstone

Place of discovery: NH 7372 5763

Present location: Groam House Museum, Rosemarkie (ROMGH.1992.3.2)

Evidence for discovery: found in the churchyard in re-use as a recumbent slab over a post-Reformation grave, placed with the carved face downwards. It was first recorded around 1850 by Stuart. Allen’s measurements refer to the larger fragment, although his illustration shows both fragments as if complete and he describes the entire panel.

Present condition: broken into two fragments but the carving is in good condition, despite some wear.

Description

Three edges of this slab are dressed into a rectangle, but the fourth and lower edge has been left undressed. One broad face is carved in low relief, leaving a wide uncarved area at the base. The ornament is divided into three equal panels above a continuous basal border of key pattern. The central panel is filled with a spiraliform version of diagonal key pattern, while the panels on either side are filled with diagonal key pattern interspersed with pellets.

Date: eighth or ninth century.

References: Stuart 1856, pl 108; ECMS pt 3, 85-6; Henderson 1990, [18]; Henderson & Henderson 2004, 206-7; Seright & Henderson 2013, 9.

Desk-based information compiled by A Ritchie 2017.

Archaeology Notes

NH75NW 7.02 7372 5763.

No. 2. A Class 3 sculptured stone, in at least four fragments, bears a key pattern on one face. It measured 3ft 4 1/2ins x 1ft 9 1/2ins x 2ins thick. It lay for many years on the grave of Donald Bain, but is now in the tool-shed of the church.

J R Allen and J Anderson 1903; RCAHMS 1979.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions