Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 50 - 53 Carlton Place, Laurieston House

Terraced House (19th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, 50 - 53 Carlton Place, Laurieston House

Classification Terraced House (19th Century)

Canmore ID 143586

Site Number NS56SE 264

NGR NS 58916 64583

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/143586

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Laurieston House, 50-53 Carlton Place, 1802, Peter Nicholson

Nicholson designed two very long and dignified neoclassical terraces, punctuated by central and end pavilions, each with Greek Ionic porches. John and David Laurie lived in the two houses of Laurieston House, behind the pedimented centrepiece, with its bowed and balustraded porch. Exceptional Italian crafted plasterwork remains in the vestibule and top-lit staircase. An ugly mansard roof at Nos 55-59, added 1902, Robert Duncan, was removed during extensive restorations, 1989, Philip Cocker & Ptnrs. The huge Victorian replacement for the west pavilion was reduced by several floors at the same time. (See also Central Glasgow Guide.)

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Site Management (4 February 1998)

Neo classical style house (originally built as two). Pedimented centrepiece of Eastern Terrace of Carlton Place, 3 storeys of ashlar, chanelled at ground floor. Curved Doric portico with balustrade and doors with fanlights; rubble rear with projecting curved stair turrets.

Arguably the most ornate Georgian townhouse in the UK, the internal plasterwork is of outstanding quality, thought to be the work of Francisco Bernasconi who was brought to Britain by George III to decorate Windsor Castle. The decoration is in the Greek revival style - the first example of this in Scotland, probably influenced by the excavations at Pompeii and Herculenium. This house is perhaps the last great Glasgow merchant's house to survive largely unaltered in the city. (Buildings of Scotland - Glasgow by McKean, Riches and Walker).

Carlton Place was the showpiece river frontage of John Laurie's development of a high-class residential area, which he named Laurieston, to the south of the River Clyde. Laurieston House was the main feature of the terrace and was once the home of John Laurie and his brother David. (The Glasgow Story)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions