Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Falkirk, Callendar Park, Callendar House, Stable Court And Cobbled Yard

Stable(S) (18th Century), Stable(S) (19th Century)

Site Name Falkirk, Callendar Park, Callendar House, Stable Court And Cobbled Yard

Classification Stable(S) (18th Century), Stable(S) (19th Century)

Canmore ID 143415

Site Number NS87NE 3.04

NGR NS 89717 79453

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/143415

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Falkirk
  • Parish Falkirk
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Falkirk
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Site Management (7 July 2008)

Early to mid 19th century, 2-storey, 10-bay (5 wide arcaded bays to ground floor), rectangular plan stable block to NW; 1828, 2-storey, 3-stage, square-plan dovecot and former kennel adjoining to NE with prominent crenellated parapet and continuous deep string course between 1st and 2nd stage. Coursed and tooled cream ashlar sandstone to principal (SE) stable elevation; sandstone rubble to dovecot and sides and rear of stable. Base course; plain string course; narrow strip quoins; plain margins. Later 19th century, L-plan, single storey addition adjoining to SW. Later 19th century, single storey, 11-bay curved stable block to NE side of yard. Tall, single storey, 7-bay implement shed to SW of yard.

This is the second, later group of stable buildings to be built for the Callendar Estate, dating from roughly the same time period as the Factor's House (which sits to the N) and the Dry Bridge. It is also contemporary with the installation of the library into the main house by David Hamilton, circa 1827-1828. (Historic Scotland)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions