Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Fetlar, Outer Brough

Building(S) (Period Unassigned), Monastery (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Fetlar, Outer Brough

Classification Building(S) (Period Unassigned), Monastery (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Strandiborough

Canmore ID 1421

Site Number HU69SE 1

NGR HU 6715 9315

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/1421

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Shetland Islands
  • Parish Fetlar
  • Former Region Shetland Islands Area
  • Former District Shetland
  • Former County Shetland

Archaeology Notes

HU69SE 1 6715 9315

(HU 671931). On Outer Brough, an exposed rock stack separated from Strandburgh Ness by a deep geo some 15m wide, there are two groups of buildings, rectangular on plan with slightly bowed sides and rounded corners, recorded in the Ordnance Survey Name Book (ONB) as 'Pictish houses'.(ONB 1878) (RCAHMS 1946. Not visited)

The eastern group of 6 buildings average 5-6m in length and 3m in width internally, with double-faced walling almost obliterated by wind and wave erosion, despite being some 32m above sea level. The western group, situated on the highest part of the stack and somewhat better preserved, are of the same dimensions as the other group with the exception of one building. This appears to be of a more substantial nature, measuring about 19m in length and 4m in width, and sub-divided into two compartments with another abutting at a right angle on the N side. No entrances could be identified in either group. Along the S edge of the stack, immediately opposite the mainland, the remains of a drystone wall can be traced for a distance of about 40m. Access to the stack is obtained by means of a grassy incline at the E end of the geo.

The site has clearly been selected for the purpose of refuge and isolation, and may be compared with Kame of Isbister (cf. HU 39SE 4) and Birrier (cf. HU 49SW 1), both of which have been tentatively classified as early Celtic monastic settlements analagous to Brough of Deerness, Orkney (cf. HY50NE 14).

Surveyed at 1/10000; enlargement at 1/1250

Visited by OS(AC) 28 July 1970

Six unroofed buildings are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Orkney and Shetland (Shetland) 1881, sheet xiii). Five unroofed buildings are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1973).

Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 14 February 2001

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions