Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dundee, Broughty Ferry Station, Level Crossing, Overbridge

Bridge (19th Century), Level Crossing (19th Century), Railway Station (19th Century)

Site Name Dundee, Broughty Ferry Station, Level Crossing, Overbridge

Classification Bridge (19th Century), Level Crossing (19th Century), Railway Station (19th Century)

Canmore ID 142080

Site Number NO43SE 72

NGR NO 46293 30930

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/142080

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dundee, City Of
  • Parish Dundee (Dundee, City Of)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO43SE 72 46293 30930

This intermediate station on the Edinburgh - Dundee - Kinnaber Junction main line of the former North British Rly was opened by the Dundee and Arbroath Rly on 6 October 1838. It remains in regular use by passenger traffic.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 13 October 2000.

R V J Butt 1995.

Site Management (9 June 1990)

Single and 2-storey railway station. Coursers, random rubble, brick, timber, cast-iron, grey slate roofs. S range has 2- and 4-pane sash and case windows with chamfered margins, decorative bargeboards at E and W gables, cut-back eaves at N and S, cast-iron rainwater goods.

The Dundee and Arbroath Railway opened on 6th October 1838. The line drawing in Malcolm shows the gabled station and canopied platform 'in the forties' much as they appear to day. The dated (1886) drawing of the subway shows the new covered bridge but there is no trace of the signal box. The original mechanism of the level crossing gates was installed in 1887 (probably when the signal box was erected), although most of the present mechanism is post-1923). The present gates were renewed in 1972 and are the sole remaining work examples of their type in Scotland, although the gates to the south were destroyed in a locomotive accident on 22 October 1991. The station with its ancillary is listed Category A not least for the impressive survival of the complex. (Historic Scotland)

Activities

Publication Account (2013)

The oldest railway passenger station beside a live line? A two-storey booking and parcel office with ornate bargeboards stands beside a timber kingpost awning on nine iron columns with stone plinths: the platform height has risen around these. The shelter is steeper in pitch than at any subsequent station. A siding accessed workshops at 261 Brook Street, perpendicular to the line. A timber cabman's shelter of 1907 is north of the track, again used by taxis. The railway, and later the trams, allowed Broughty Ferry to adapt from fishing village to affluent suburb.

In 1999 Railtrack sought to demolish the surface buildings of the station. This was refused and instead the station has been well restored, later accretions that obscured the canopy removed along with a timber footbridge (1877, twisted) and signal box (1887), re-erected in 2012 so as to no longer span the line. Now trains are calling much more frequently then hitherto.

M Watson, 2013

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions