Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dundee, Craigie

Anti Aircraft Battery (20th Century), Military Camp (20th Century)

Site Name Dundee, Craigie

Classification Anti Aircraft Battery (20th Century), Military Camp (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) D1; Eastern Necropolis

Canmore ID 141989

Site Number NO43SW 148

NGR NO 4235 3198

NGR Description Centred NO 4235 3198

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/141989

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dundee, City Of
  • Parish Dundee (Dundee, City Of)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO43SW 148 centred 4235 3198

A heavy anti-aircraft battery has been identified from oblique aerial photographs taken during the WWII (RAF No.1 CAM unit, AF 692, flown 8 May 1942) in an area immediately to the N of the Eastern Necropolis. The battery was also equipped with a MkII radar set with GL-mat for height, range and direction finding. The accommodation camp was situated along the S side of the public road now known as Kingsway East. Part of the site has subsequently been built over by industrial units and works (OS 1:10000 scale chart copy map, 1984). The battery is also visible on post-war vertical air photographs (RAF 106G/Scot/UK 55, part I, 5056-5057, flown 1946) and shows six gun emplacements had been constructed, with two distinct types being noted, four with six ready-use ammunition lockers with crew shelters and two with four ready-use ammunition lockers. The accommodation camp is still extant on the photographs and comprises some 27 nissen huts and seven larger wooden or concrete buildings. In November 1943, the battery mounted 6 x 3.7in guns along with gun control radar unit. (PRO WO 166/11169), but was unarmed in June 1942 and by November 1945 (PRO AIR 2/4/4768 and PRO WO 166/16650).

Information from RCAHMS (DE) March 1999

The battery was in an area to the N of the Eastern Necropolis. Nothing of this battery could be found on the date of visit.

J Guy 2000; NMRS MS 810/9

A Z battery is known to have been installed in the Mid Craigie area, the exact location is unknown.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), March 2010

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions