Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Isle Of Moy

House (Period Unassigned)(Possible), Hunting Lodge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Isle Of Moy

Classification House (Period Unassigned)(Possible), Hunting Lodge (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 14129

Site Number NH73SE 11

NGR NH 7758 3431

NGR Description NH c. 7758 3431

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/14129

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Moy And Dalarossie
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH73SE 11 c. 7758 3431

See also NH73SE 2 and NH73SE 30.

There is good reason to believe that the first residence on the Isle of Moy was built in the early middle ages as a country seat of the Bishops of Moray. Nothing of it now remains, as it was almost certainly of timber construction; its site may have been the mound where Sir Aeneas Mackintosh's obelisk now stands (see NH73SE 30).

Various charters and other documents dated at the Isle of Moy between 1593 and 1664 show that by that time Moy was becoming the principal residence of the Mackintosh. It is most probable that his residence was still a timber building at that period, because the island gave sufficient protection and because of the problem of transporting masonry. Not much information is available about this early building, but it possibly occupied the site of the Bishop of Moray's hunting-seat. It was superseded in 1665 by the house described on NH73SE 2, (q. v.)

E A Meldrum 1972.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions