Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 69 Clyde Street, The Old Custom House

Custom House (18th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, 69 Clyde Street, The Old Custom House

Classification Custom House (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Stockwell Street

Canmore ID 140985

Site Number NS56SE 248

NGR NS 59216 64680

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/140985

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Activities

Desk Based Assessment (14 July 2017)

The Old Custom House stood on the NE bank of the River Clyde, at the west corner of what was once Stockwell Street and is now the corner of Clyde Street and Bridgegate. It was here that duties for the Crown were collected and all Clyde shipping entries recorded by customs officials. Prior to becoming Glasgow’s Custom House in 1757, the crow-stepped building had been occupied by a number of merchants and tradesmen. An 1846 watercolour ‘The Corner of Stockwell Street and Great Clyde Street’ by William Simpson (Burrell Collection Photo Library 765.89.235) shows the building, its gable end covered in boards announcing the sailing times of steamboats. An earlier engraving of the building is also held at the Mitchell Library (GC 941.435 GOR). It was replaced by a Victorian building which, itself, was later replaced. Today the site is occupied by a modern hotel.

Information from HES Survey and Recording (AMcC) 14 July 2017.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions