Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Clinton Road, Woodcroft

Villa (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Clinton Road, Woodcroft

Classification Villa (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Morningside

Canmore ID 140963

Site Number NT27SW 1615

NGR NT 2492 7162

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/140963

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Demolished 1962 and replaced by Telephone Exchange.

Activities

Standing Building Recording (9 January 2014)

AOC Archaeology Group was commissioned by Cruden Homes Ltd to undertake an historic building survey of the former Woodcroft Telephone Exchange at 2 Pitsligo Road, Edinburgh as part of the planning condition on its demolition. The building was constructed in 1958 - 60 as a multi-bay two to four storey cross-shaped building with a concrete superstructure set in the grounds of a former 19th estate and country house, which was demolished to make way for it. It is a good example of state-sponsored architecture of the post-war period and is a significant example of an industrial building type for the purpose of modern telecommunications. The building's interest includes its grid patterning of exposed concrete framing, a glazed office wing on pilotis, the random rubble detailing, and its adaptable and expandable plan which saw the addition of the north-east wing in 1970.

AOC Archaeology 2014 (D. Sproat) OASIS ID: aocarcha1-168442

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions