Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

Bonar Bridge, New Bridge

Road Bridge (Period Unassigned), War Memorial (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Bonar Bridge, New Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (Period Unassigned), War Memorial (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) New Bonar Bridge; Kyle Of Sutherland; War Memorial

Canmore ID 14054

Site Number NH69SW 62

NGR NH 60919 91540

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/14054

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kincardine (Sutherland)
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH69SW 62.00 60919 91540

Bonar Bridge [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1971.

NH69SW 62.01 NH 609 915 (predecessor) Old Bridge

Location formerly entered as NH 6093 9154.

For (predecessor) Telford bridge (NH 6093 9154), see NH69SW 61.

The present Bonar Bridge was designed by Crouch and Hogg, built by William Tawse Ltd, and opened in 1973. It is of bowstring girder construction, measures 339 ft (103.4m) in overall length, and is built on a slight gradient like its predecessor (NH69SW 62.01).

G Nelson 1990.

This bowstring girder bridge (built 1973) replaces an 1893 bridge built by Sir William Arrol & Co Ltd, Glasgow. This in turn replaced the earlier Thomas Telford bridge (see also NS69SW 61).

Information from RCAHMS, 29 June 1995.

This bridge carries the present line of the A9 (T) public road over the Kyle of Sutherland to the W of Bonar Bridge village (NH69SW 143). The Kyle of Sutherland here forms the boundary between the parishes of Kincardine (to the SW) and Creich (to the NE).

The location assigned to this record defines the midpoint of the structure. The available map evidence suggests that it extends from NH c. 60846 91515 to NH c. 60978 91560.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 10 May 2006.

Activities

Construction (1973)

This bridge, the third at this site, carries the A836 road across the Kyle of Sutherland.It was built in 1973.

Designed by A A Cullen Wallace of Crouch and Hogg.

MAin Contractor, William Tawse (Nort Region) Ltd.

Structural Steelwork, Redpath, Dorman Long (Contracting) Ltd

R PAxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Publication Account (2009)

Bonar Bridge (built 1973)

(Institute Civil Engineers Historic Engineering Works no. HEW 2550)

This bridge, the third at this site, carries the A836 road across the Kyle of Sutherland and was built in 1973. The bridge of 1892 (second on the site), which had become corroded at its springings, was replaced in 21 months by the present segmental steel tied arch of 340 ft span with a rise of 64 ft, designed by A. A. Cullen Wallace of Crouch & Hogg. Initially the arch was thought by some to intrude on the landscape, but its form is now generally recognised as elegant. The main contractor was William Tawse (North Region) Ltd, with structural steelwork by Redpath, Dorman Long (Contracting) Ltd. The contract sum was £405 000.

In a landscaped garden at the old east abutment, a cairn bears a marble tablet of 1815 from Telford’s bridge, a granite plaque from the 1893 bridge and plaques for the present bridge including one for a Steel Design Award in 1974.

R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Highlands and Islands' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions