Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Duallin

Farmstead (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Duallin

Classification Farmstead (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 140329

Site Number NN64SE 19

NGR NN 68587 40072

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/140329

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Kenmore (Perth And Kinross)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN64SE 19 68587 40072

A farmstead, comprising two roofed buildings, one unroofed building and three sides of what may have been a building is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Perthshire 1867, sheet lviii). Three unroofed buildings are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1981).

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 28 October 1997.

The ruins of this farmstead, situated in improved pasture S of Duallin farmsteading, comprise five roughly rectangular buildings and an enclosure. Four of the buildings stand to the E of an unnamed burn, while one (BL00 2022) stands on the W bank, linked to the others by a bridge.

The buildings measure internally from 4.5m to 13.4m in length and 2.3m to 3.9m in breadth, and with one exception (BL00 2022), which stands up to 2m high, their rubble walls now stand no more than 0.7m high. One building (BL00 2026) has an extension abutting its SW end, completing a range about 21m in length, while another (BL00 2024) has an outshot, possibly a cart shed, at its NE end. Both of these buildings have been divided into three compartments; otherwise, the only internal feature noted was a possible byre drain in the SE end of the building on the W bank of the burn (BL00 2022). The enclosure is attached to the long range (BL00 2026); its SW side is missing, but it has measured approximately 25m by at least 20m.

There is some evidence of earlier structures amongst these buildings; a revetted platform at the centre of the farmstead, measuring 12m by 7.7m, may be a second enclosure or the stance of another building, while another platform extends for 11m beyond the NE end of building BL00 2024, suggesting that this building was once considerably longer than at present.

A township of eight buildings and two enclosures is depicted here on John Farquharson's 1769 Survey of the North Side of Loch Tay (National Archives of Scotland, RHP 973/1, Plan 14). It is one of two settlements depicted by Farquharson on the farm of Duallan (see also __). Two of the buildings described above (BL00 2024 and 2026) may stand on the sites of two of those shown in 1769, while the revetted platform at the centre of the farmstead may be the site of a third. The 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Perthshire 1867, sheet lviii) shows four buildings ¿ two roofed (BL00 2022 and 2026) and two unroofed (BL00 2023-4) ¿ as well as the enclosure attached to building BL00 2026. The site is not named on that map, and it had been abandoned by the date of the 2nd edition (Perthshire 1900, sheet lviii SE), which shows three unroofed buildings and the enclosure.

(BL00 2022-6, 2662)

Visited by RCAHMS (AGCH) 23 October 2001

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions