Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Creag Bheag

Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Creag Bheag

Classification Township (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 140008

Site Number NH70SW 16

NGR NH 7351 0135

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/140008

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kingussie And Insh
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Badenoch And Strathspey
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Activities

Field Visit (6 November 1995)

NH70SW 16 7351 0135

The township of Auchtuchle, which is covered in heather and grass, is situated on a terrace on the W slopes of Creag Bheag; it comprises a group of at least twelve buildings, a kiln-barn, two enclosures, some rig, some lazy-beds and a head-dyke.

The buildings, which lie on the NW edge of a rigged field, range in size from 3.9m to 11.8m in length by between 1.5m and 3.1m in breadth within faced-rubble footings from 0.7m to 0.85m in thickness, and up to 0.5m in height. Nine are aligned roughly NE to SW and one is L-shaped (KING95 365). The kiln-barn lies to the SE of the buildings, with the kiln set into the slope on the SE of the barn. The bowl measures 1.6m in diameter by 0.75m in depth within rubble-faced walls about 1.25m in thickness, and a flue opens into the barn, which measures 3.4m from NW to SE by 2.35m internally with an entrance on the NE (KING95 367).

The rigs, which has been partly reduced by later cultivation, extend over an area measuring 500m from NE to SW by 200m transversely. The rig is sinuous and varies in width from 2.5m to 6m; it is delimited by a head-dyke to the N and W, and is sub-divided into two by a bank or lynchet that runs across it from NNE to SSW. There is a patch of lazy-beds at NH 7359 0120.

Eight buildings, two enclosures and the arable of Auchtuchle are depicted here on the Duke of Gordon estate map of 1771 (SRO RHP 1859).

(KING95 357-72)

Visited by RCAHMS (PJD) 6 November 1995

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions