Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kyleoag

Cairn (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Site Name Kyleoag

Classification Cairn (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Canmore ID 13980

Site Number NH69SE 2

NGR NH 6626 9096

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/13980

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Creich (Sutherland)
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NH69SE 2 6626 9096.

A cairn, entirely overgrown with long heather, lies between 150 and 200 yards SE of Kyleoag House (NH 6612 9107), on top of a slight ridge about 30ft S of the Spinningdale to Migdale road. It measures about 40ft N-S by 45ft E-W and 8ft to 10ft high. It is not certain that it is sepulchral.

RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.

This site was not positively identified, but at NH 6626 9096, on the S side of the road, is a small rubbish-tipping site, the top of which is on the same level as the road surface. The sides and top reveal a considerable quantity of small, cairn-like stones; and it is likely that the rubbish tip covers the remains of the cairn described by the RCAHMS. No other likely site was seen in the area.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (W D J) 25 May 1963.

The mound described by the previous OS field investigator is now so indistinct that it cannot be classified with any degree of certainty as a cairn. No features resembling a cairn can be seen in the area.

Visited by OS (N K B) 19 September 1980.

No additonal information was forthcoming about the true identity of this site or its location.

S Carter and J Wordsworth (Headland Archaeology) 5 February 1997; NMRS MS 899/25, no.28

NH 66 90 (centre) A short-notice forestry survey was undertaken by Headland Archaeology Ltd over roughly 7.5sq km of land to the W of Spinningdale on the northern shore of the Dornoch Firth. A total of 28 features or groups of features of archaeological interest were recorded, 19 of which had previously been noted. The majority are post-medieval settlement sites (buildings, farmsteads and settlement sites) recorded first by the OS in 1874. The survey area and its immediate environs contain a notable concentration of chambered cairns, and a further example was discovered. This new site is heavily robbed but appears to be of a similar size and chamber type to the other examples in the area.

NH 6626 9096 ?Cairn. (NMRS NH69SE 2)

Sponsor: Historic Scotland

S Carter 1997

Activities

Field Visit (23 July 1909)

Between 150 and 200 yards SE. of Kyleoag House, on the top of a slight ridge some 30' S. of the road from Spinningdale to Migdale, is a cairn entirely overgrown with long heather. It measures some 40' from N. to S. and 45' from E. to W., and in height it is from 8' to 10' high. Its character is not revealed.

OS 6-inch map: Sutherland Sheet cxi.

RCAHMS 1911, visited (AOC) 23rd July 1909.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions