Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We have updated our mapping software and are trying out some new background mapping layers. Please let us know what you think by clicking here.

Edinburgh, Leith, 7-8 Maritime Street

Warehouse (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Leith, 7-8 Maritime Street

Classification Warehouse (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Quality Street

Canmore ID 139736

Site Number NT27NE 260

NGR NT 27144 76341

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/139736

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (28 May 2001)

Coat of arms of Bartram, between first floor windows, is composed of a high-relief carving of a ram's head coming out of a crown, set in an arched panel. To either side of the arch is a bunch of grapes, and below is a ribbon carved with a motto. Above the panel is the date 1893, surmounted by a triangular pediment.

Coat of arms of Scott, between ground and first floors, is a lion's head facing left, with its tongue out; set into architectural moulding between ground and first floors.

Inscriptions : Above coat of arms of Bartram (raised letters): 1893

On ribbon below coat of arms of Bartram (raised letters): J'AVANCE

[= I advance]

On ribbon below coat of arms of Scott (incised letters): SPE VIRES AUGENTER [= strength is increased by hope]

Signatures : None Visible

Design period : 1893-1895

Year of unveiling : 1893

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0412)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions