Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 38 Parnie Street, Tron Kirk

Church (18th Century), Theatre (20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, 38 Parnie Street, Tron Kirk

Classification Church (18th Century), Theatre (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) 63 Chisholm Street; Tron Theatre

Canmore ID 139510

Site Number NS56SE 192

NGR NS 59526 64880

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/139510

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Architecture Notes

NS56SE 192 59526 64880

NS56SE 21 59542 64916 Tron Steeple

Original church on site founded in 1484 as Church of St Mary and St Anne, became City Kirk in 1592. The Tron Steeple stands independent (tower c.1592, steeple 1630-1636). Tower pierced at ground level by Tudor arches by John Carrick 1855. Steeple remained after fire 1793, kirk destroyed. Replacement church by James Adam 1793 - 1794, set back from Steeple. Tron Kirk now Tron Theatre.

REFERENCE:

Architect: James Adam (Swan's "Views of Glasgow")

Activities

Publication Account (1990)

This was the immediate physical successor to the Church of St Mary of . Loreto and St Anne. In 1592 the town council repossessed the old church and cemetery, reconstructed the building and fitted it up for protestant worship. It functioned as Glasgow's second parish church after 1599 because of its proximity to the public weighbeam or tron it became known as the Tron Church, or Laigh Church. Improvements were made in the 17th century, including the heightening of the steeple between 1630 and 1636. This steeple, detached from the rest of the building, survived a fire of 1793 which destroyed the church. The present church was constructed after 1793.2

Notes

1. Glas. Recs., i, 196.

2. Renwick, Memorials, 245-6.

Information from ‘Historic Glasgow: The Archaeological Implications of Development’, (1990).

Publication Account (2006)

A church was founded on the site in 1484. This was re-constructed as a city church in 1592 when the existing tower was built. The steeple was added in 1630-6. The church was destroyed by fire in 1793 and James Adam designed the existing building. The initial proposals were far grander and included the redevelopment of neighbouring streets. The baroque courtyard walls and gateway were added in 1895-1900 by JJ Burnet to screen a Caledonian Railway tunnel airshaft. McGurn, Logan and Duncan converted the church into a theatre in 1981.

Information from 'The Royal Commission on Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: Field Guide 2006'.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions