Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Meikle Gluich

Field System (Period Unassigned), Hut Circle(S) (Prehistoric)

Site Name Meikle Gluich

Classification Field System (Period Unassigned), Hut Circle(S) (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 13895

Site Number NH68SE 18

NGR NH 690 839

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/13895

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Edderton
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH68SE 18 690 839.

('A': NH 6888 8391; 'B': NH 6894 8391) Hut Circles (NR) ('C': NH 6911 8396) Hut Circle (NR) (Centred NH 6892 8391) Cairns (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)

Macdonald, Brown and Polson (1931) mentions hut circles about a mile S of Lecanich (NH 68 85), near Bailecharn. They, with some small cairns in the vicinity, are noted in the ONB (1874)

Name Book 1874; D MacDonald, A Brown and J Polson 1931.

Centred at NH 690 839, near the crest of a N- facing slope, is a settlement of three stone-walled huts ('A' - 'C') and a comtemporary field system.

Hut 'A' is oval, measuring c.15.5m WNW-ESE by c.13.0m between the centres of a wall spread to c.3.5m all round. The 'simple' entrance in the ESE is c.1.5m wide.

'B' is oval, measuring c.12.0m E-W by c.10.0m between the centres of a wall spread to c.3.0m all round. The 'simple' entrance, in the E, is

c.1.0m wide.

'C' (noted as an enclosure by first OS field investigator in 1963) is circular, measuring 14.5m in diameter within a wall 1.4m thick all round. The inner wall face, of contiguous stones set on edge, is visible around the whole of the N arc and intermittently elsewhere. Several stones of the outer face are visible, mainly in the S. The hut appears to have been robbed as there is little trace of the wall core, except at the S side of the entrance where the material is spread to c.3.0m. The 'simple' entrance, 2.2m wide, in the E, is flanked on the N side by two earthfast stones and on the S by one.

The field system is marked by stone clearance heaps, probably the "small cairns" referred to in the Ordnance Survey Name Book (ONB), an occasional lynchet and a few field walls. No measurable plots were identified.

Revised at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (W D J) 13 May 1963 and (R L) 21 October 1970.

There are numerous small cairns, several stony banks and what may be three hut-circles in this area.

RCAHMS 1979, visited September 1978.

Activities

Field Visit (4 October 1943)

This site was included within the RCAHMS Emergency Survey (1942-3), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, vary from short notes to lengthy and full descriptions and are available to view online with contemporary sketches and photographs. The original typescripts, manuscripts, notebooks and photographs can also be consulted in the RCAHMS Search Room.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 10 December 2014.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions