Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, St Stephen Street, General

General View

Site Name Edinburgh, St Stephen Street, General

Classification General View

Alternative Name(s) Brunswick Street

Canmore ID 138203

Site Number NT27SW 1460

NGR NT 2483 7459

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/138203

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SW 1460 2483 7459

ARCHITECT: Robert Brown, 1825 (Nos. 2-18 and 5-93).

Site of the New Tivoli Variety Theatre, precise site unknown at time of upgrade.

Originally the thoroughfare curving gently northwards and westwards from the foot of St Vincent Street and St Stephen's Church was known as St Stephen's Street until the junction with Clarence Street only; the long narrow stretch extending on westwards towards North East Circus Place was, when first built, known as Brunswick Street. However, the St Stephen Street name was almost immediately adopted for the entire length of the route because of the construction of another Brunswick Street, in the Calton district of the city, c. 1824.

Information from RCAHMS, January 2004.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions