Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Ledmore Wood

Chambered Cairn (Neolithic)

Site Name Ledmore Wood

Classification Chambered Cairn (Neolithic)

Canmore ID 13819

Site Number NH68NE 2

NGR NH 6537 8944

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/13819

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Creich (Sutherland)
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NH68NE 2 6537 8944.

(NH 6537 8944) Chambered Cairn (NR)

OS 6" map, Sutherland, 2nd ed., (1907)

A chambered round cairn, which may have been horned, standing on a level site at the top of a steep moorland ridge, and measuring 55ft in diameter and about 6ft in height. It is of bare stone except where peat and heather have encroached round the edge. In the centre, a number of large slabs, apparently earthfast, protrude. They now form no recognisable plan but more of the structure probably remains under the disturbed cairn material. The most prominent stone, standing 3ft 6ins above the cairn surface is on the east side of the group.

A possible horn projects from the NW side of the cairn. It is about 10ft long, 17ft across the base and is outlined by stones. There were formerly (RCAHMS 1911) indications of a similar projection on the SE, but these are now very indefinite; none can be seen on the SW and the NE side has been disturbed by a rectangular construction. The cairn does not give the impression of having had horns and forecourt similar to other horned cairns in the county, but, on the other hand, there is no indication that the projection on the NW is part of a secondary construction.

RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; A S Henshall 1963.

A chambered cairn as described.

Revised at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (R D L) 4 June 1963.

No change to previous reports.

Revised at 1:10,000.

Visited by OS (J B) 12 September 1980.

This cairn is as previously described. There is no evidence of recent disturbance.

S Carter and J Wordsworth (Headland Archaeology) 5 February 1997; NMRS MS 899/25, no.18

NH 66 90 (centre) A short-notice forestry survey was undertaken by Headland Archaeology Ltd over roughly 7.5sq km of land to the W of Spinningdale on the northern shore of the Dornoch Firth. A total of 28 features or groups of features of archaeological interest were recorded, 19 of which had previously been noted. The majority are post-medieval settlement sites (buildings, farmsteads and settlement sites) recorded first by the OS in 1874. The survey area and its immediate environs contain a notable concentration of chambered cairns, and a further example was discovered. This new site is heavily robbed but appears to be of a similar size and chamber type to the other examples in the area.

NH 6537 8944 Chambered cairn. (NMRS NH68NE 2)

Sponsor: Historic Scotland

S Carter 1997

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions