Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Achandunie, Seapal-dail A' Mhic

Chapel (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Site Name Achandunie, Seapal-dail A' Mhic

Classification Chapel (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Canmore ID 13795

Site Number NH67SW 3

NGR NH 6420 7275

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/13795

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Rosskeen
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH67SW 3 6420 7275.

(NH 6420 7275) Chapel (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)

The only remains are two upright pillars.

Name Book 1875.

Of the chapel known as 'Seapal-dail a' mhic' on the farm of Achandunie (NH 645 721) only part of the foundation remains. This suggests that the chapel has measured 42' x 24'.

It lies in the centre of a stone circle measuring 112' x 66', two of the stones of which remain standing. They are of sandstone, split out of one block and measuring 5'6" high, 3'8" broad and 1' thick. A few large stones lie covered by the debris of the ruin, the rest having been removed.

R Maclean 1886.

No trace of the alleged chapel foundations could be found in this heavily overgrown copse.

The two almost identical upright sandstone slabs are facing each other, 0.9m apart. They are 1.5m high, 0.8m wide and 0.3m thick, and face ESE - WNW. About 6.0m to the E and S of them are several large boulders, and others, five of which form an arc, occur here and there in the copse. None of the stones seem to be in situ and the rhododendrons make a true assessment of the site impossible. The sandstone slabs are suspiciously vertical possibly indicating that they were erected at a late date. Revised at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (J M) 27 September 1974.

NH 642 727 Clearance within area of dense rhododendron revealed part of a site referred to as 'druidical place of worship' and chapel in antiquarian reference. Located adjacent to pair of standing stones recorded by RCAHMS (1979), these were probably re-erected during the 19th century. Exposed remains consist of arc of ?kerb stones associated with off-centre settings for ?two small chambers. Possible remains of heavily denuded Orkney-Cromarty cairn.

Tain Archaeological Group 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions