Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Contullich Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Contullich Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Canmore ID 13774

Site Number NH67SW 11

NGR NH 6363 7046

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/13774

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Alness
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH67SW 11 636 704.

(NH 6363 7046) Contullich Castle (NR) (Site of) Human Remains found (NAT)

OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)

There was a fortalice at Contullich, probably dating from the 11th century. It belonged to Andrew Dubh Munro.

R Bain 1899.

'The Site of an ancient Castle situated on the west side of Contullich farm-house. It was taken down AD. 1826 and the stones used for building the farm-house and steading. Human remains were found here inside the walls.

Name Book 1874.

No further information was found regarding the site of the Castle, there is no evidence to be seen on the ground. Mr Munro formerly of Contullich, recalls coming across some wall foundations while digging drains on the SW side of the present farm-house.

Visited by OS (W D J) 1 May 1963.

Part of a 17th-century door- or window-pediment bearing monogram initials was found during reconstruction of the adjacent farmsteading in about 1974.

RCAHMS 1979, visited September 1978.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions