Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Newmore Castle

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Newmore Castle

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 13769

Site Number NH67SE 7

NGR NH 6801 7192

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/13769

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Rosskeen
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH67SE 7 6801 7192

(NH 6801 7192) Newmore Castle (NR)

(AD 1625) (In Ruins)

OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)

The ruins consist of a small square apartment with an arched roof. It is surrounded by an orchard. A stone bearing the date of erection was removed and built into the wall on the west side of the gate at the entrance to Newmore.

No information can be obtained, except that it was built in 1625 by a Munro of Newmore.

Name Book 1874.

The remains of the castle consist of a rectangular building measuring 10.9m NE-SW by 7.3m transversely, with a stair turret at its east corner. Only the ground floor of the castle remains, consisting of three small barrel vaulted rooms in fair condition and it would appear that there are no vaults or cellars below. The walls of the castle are c 0.8m thick and stand to a height of c.2.5m with the tower 6-7m high. The walls of the castle and the stair-tower are librally provided with arrow-slits and gun-loops.

No trace was found of the stone bearing the date 1625. Inquiries at Newmore House proved negative.

Visited by OS (W D J) 11 May 1963.

Activities

Watching Brief (January 2008 - February 2008)

NH 6805 7195 A watching brief was undertaken, January – February 2008, on a residential development in an area immediately adjacent to Newmore Castle (NH67SE 7). The castle dates from the late 16th century. It was once was the home of the Munro’s of Newmore but went out of use in the late 18th century. The grounds of the castle had been used as a walled market garden until the 1960s. The only features recorded were some drains relating to the walled garden and a shallow oval pit of unknown date.

Report: HSMR and RCAHMS.

Funder: Mr and Mrs J Jack

Stuart Farrell, 2008

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions