Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Millcraig

Chambered Cairn (Neolithic)

Site Name Millcraig

Classification Chambered Cairn (Neolithic)

Canmore ID 13751

Site Number NH67SE 24

NGR NH 6585 7102

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/13751

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Rosskeen
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH67SE 24 6585 7102.

(NH 6585 7102) Cairn (NR) (Remains of) Human Remains found AD. 1854 (NAT)

OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)

A round cairn, Orkney-Cromarty type, was removed about 1854, but its last remains are still visible though obscured by field-gathered stones and a drainage ditch dug across the north side. The cairn has been very large; Childe (1944) suggests a diameter of 110ft which is certainly a minimum and there are indications that it was even larger, about 130ft across. A number of slabs remain among the debris to the NE of the centre. The most conspicuous is a huge stone aligned east-west which stands 6ft high and is 10ft long and has recently had its S face blasted away.

There is a greater depth of cairn material to the SE.

V G Childe 1963; A S Henshall 1963, visited 15 July 1956.

The remains of the cairn are generally as described by Henshall. It is now virtually impossible to trace the perimeter but it is possible that it had a diameter of c.53m. In the northern half of the cairn area there is a large stony circular bank composed mainly of small stones. It is

c.20.0m in diameter and varies in width from 5.0m on the north side to c 10.0m in the south side with a maximum height of 1.5m in the south side. This circular bank is broken on its north east side and its west side by modern gaps and inside the north-east gap on its south side are the slabs described above. There are five upright stones and one fallen stone, a seventh stone is just visible protuding from the ground. Resurveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (W D J) 10 May 1963.

Activities

Field Visit (12 September 1943)

This site was included within the RCAHMS Emergency Survey (1942-3), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, vary from short notes to lengthy and full descriptions and are available to view online with contemporary sketches and photographs. The original typescripts, manuscripts, notebooks and photographs can also be consulted in the RCAHMS Search Room.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 10 December 2014.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions