Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

The Priest's Sepulchre

Chambered Tomb (Neolithic)(Possible)

Site Name The Priest's Sepulchre

Classification Chambered Tomb (Neolithic)(Possible)

Canmore ID 13685

Site Number NH66NW 9

NGR NH 60 66

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/13685

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kiltearn
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH66NW 9 60 66.

The Priest's Sepulchre. The Statistical Account (OSA, 1791) states 'On the north side of the river Skiack, and nearly opposite the village of Drummond, a grave of an oblong form lined with stone in the same manner as those described above (short cists), it is called the "Priest's Sepulchre", and is 7ft long, 3ft broad and 3 1/2ft deep.'

This sounds like a denuded rectangular chamber. This might be the site seen by Pococke in 1760 lying between Foulis Castle and the Allt Graad...'a cairn with two stones set up before it; in a cell with five stones'... in which bones were found.

OSA 1791; R Pococke 1887; A S Henshall 1963.

No further information. Cairn not located.

Visited by OS (R D L) 5 May 1963.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions