Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Alnessferry

Cairn(S) (Prehistoric)

Site Name Alnessferry

Classification Cairn(S) (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Loch Inch

Canmore ID 13647

Site Number NH66NE 6

NGR NH 6666 6607

NGR Description NH 6666 6607, NH 6666 6596 and NH 6678 6603

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/13647

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Resolis
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH66NE 6 c.6665 6600.

(A-NH 6666 6608) Encampments (NR), (B-NH 6677 6603) (Remains of),

(C-NH 6665 6596) (D-NH 6657 6586)

OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 1st ed., (1875)

('A', 'B', 'C') Encampments (NR). (Site of)

OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)

These are probably the sites of cairns removed by intensive cultivation. The Ordnance Survey Name Book (ONB, 1875) describes all four sites as being composed of sods and stones about 3' high on the outside and 1 1/2' on the inside.

When Woodham (1956) visited 'A', 'B' and 'C', two were under grass and one under corn. All that now remains is a very slight flattening of the ground on one of the grassed sites and a scattering of stones at the field edges.

Name Book 1875; A A Woodham 1956.

'A' - a slight rise in the ground at the published site. Located in a cultivated field, until recently under crop, the diameter of the swelling being approx. 20.0m containing a slight scatter of small stones.

'B' - no trace and no local knowledge of a cairn at this site.

'C' - located in a cultivated field, until recently under crop, there is a distinct rise, or swelling, in the ground measuring c.25.0m in diameter with a considerable stone content.

'D' - this site is now covered by a modern farm building. No local knowledge of a cairn having existed there.

Visited by OS (R B) 14 January 1966.

As described by Bruce except that no stones are now apparent. This is confirmed by Mr Macleod (J M MacLeod, Wester Ferryton, Balblair), who states that when the area was recently ploughed, site C was visible as a ring of light clay soil suggesting some kind of enclosure, rather than a cairn.

Visited by OS (N K B) 1 December 1970.

Activities

Field Visit (May 1979)

Loch Inch NH 666 660 NH66NE 6

Nothing now survives of four 'encampments' noted by the OS in 1875. The date and function of these structures is unknown but they may have been enclosures comparable with those at Navity (NH76NE 4, NH76NE 5 and NH76SE 3).

RCAHMS 1979, visited May 1979

Name Book, Ross-shire, No. 27, p. 9; Woodham 1956, 76, no. 28.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions