Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lewis, Col

Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lewis, Col

Classification Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Nether Coll; Col Iorach

Canmore ID 136382

Site Number NB43NE 12

NGR NB 4700 3990

NGR Description Centred NB 4700 3990

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/136382

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Stornoway
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Activities

Note

A large crofting township with two foci of settlement each adjacent to a road, comprises fifty roofed, two unroofed buildings, one partially roofed building and a head-dyke as depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Island of Lewis, Ross-shire 1852, sheet 14 and 15). A much enlarged township is shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1988).

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 27 June 1997.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions