Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Allangrange

Enclosure(S) (Prehistoric)

Site Name Allangrange

Classification Enclosure(S) (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Fort Allanriach

Canmore ID 13612

Site Number NH65SW 8

NGR NH 61039 51508

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/13612

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Knockbain
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH65SW 8 6105 5150

(NH 6104 5151) Earthwork (NR)

OS 6" map, (1959)

The purpose of this enclosure - "Fort Allanriach" according to Beaton (1882) - is unknown, but fortification would appear to be ruled out by its situation on flat land, and by the slightness of the walls which were apparently only 3' thick, of earth and stone, and 58' in internal diameter. The inside face was practically vertical but the outside of the wall sloped outwards for 5' giving an overall dimension of 8'. No entrance is visible, but one may have existed in te S arc, which had disappeared by 1882.

The enclosure had now vitually disappeared, the only remains being sections of the wall on the E and W, cut by a farm track and ditch which bisect the enclosure. The segment N of the track has been destroyed by forestry operations. The S segment has been ploughed out, but when Woodham visited the site, it was visible as a dark green patch in a grass field.

A J Beaton 1882; A AWoodham 1956.

The remains of the enclosure, only the S arc of which has disappeared, now consist of a heather and turf-covered bank up to 1.0m high and 3.0m wide, enclosing an area of 15.0m in diameter internally. No entrance is visible in the remaining portion. The purpose of the enclosure is unknown, but it could possibly be an enclosed cremation cemetery. (See also NH65SW 1). The name "Fort Allanriach", attributed by Beaton, is not known locally. The S segment, noted by Woodham (1956) as a "dark Green patch", could not be seen due to the enlargement of the farm track at this point.

Resurveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (R B), 10 March 1966.

This alleged enclosed cremation cemetery has been ploughed through and afforested but survives as an earth and stone bank spread to c. 3.0m and measuring c. 18.5m in diameter between its centres. The interior is slightly elevated above the surrounding ground level. No entrance is visible. The S arc is destroyed.

Some 20.0m to the E is a similar structure measuring c. 15.5m in between the centres of a bank spread to c. 3.0m. No entrance is visible. The S arc is destroyed. A ruinous turf-covered wall joins the N arc. They are both probably hut circles with the wall being a contemporary field wall.

Visited by OS (A A), 11 November 1971.

Activities

Field Visit (July 1979)

Allangrange NH 610 515 NH65SW 8

Situated on the SE edge of a forestry plantation about 50m SW of the Tore-North Kessock road (B 9162) there are two enclosures about 15m apart. The NE example measures 11.4m in diameter within a bank 3.5m thick and 0.5m high; the SW example measures 15m in diameter within a bank about 3m thick and 0.5m high. Both enclosures have been disturbed by forestry-ploughing. To the N, within the forestry plantation, there are the ploughed-out remains of a number of field-banks of unknown date.

RCAHMS 1979, visited July 1979

Beaton 1882, 481-2; Woodham 1956, 84, no. 53.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions