Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

James's Temple

Dun (Prehistoric)

Site Name James's Temple

Classification Dun (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Drumderfit Hill; Culnacraigh

Canmore ID 13593

Site Number NH65SE 6

NGR NH 66025 52188

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Knockbain
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH65SE 6 6601 5218

(NH 6601 5218) James's Temple (NAT)

Dun (NR)

OS 6" map, (1959)

Henshall (1963) and Feachem (Information from R W Feachem to OS, 1958) agree that this is a small dun, although Woodham (1956) interpreted the site as a long cairn. Besides the stones shown on the plan, a great quantity of stone is scattered down the steep slope on the N, and large slabs and smaller stones are scattered around the summit.

A A Woodham 1956; A S Henshall 1963, visited 1956.

James's Temple, the scant remains of a dun, overgrown with broom, on a spur on the NE shoulder of Drumderfit Hill. It is oval on plan, measuring overall about 17.0m NE-SW by about 11.0m. The denuded wall is turf-covered and spread to c. 3.5m at the easiest approaches in the NE and SW, c. 2.5m in the SE, and is reduced to a faint rickle of stones in the NW where it has fallen down the slope. Six inner facing stones on edge survive in the S arc; four blocks up to 1.0m high, three in the NE and one in the SW, are outer facing stones, and several smaller stones in the S and NW may represent others. Several blocks of the outer face lie displaced outside the dun. The entrance in the ENE is flanked at its outer end by two blocks on edge indicating a width of 1.0m. Another prostrate block within the entrance has once flanked its S side.

Revised at 1/2500 (OS {N K B} 21 March 1966.

Visited by OS (N K B), 21 March 1966 and 3 December 1970.


Field Visit (June 1979)

James's Temple, Drumderfit NH 660 521 NH65SE 6

On a prominent spur on the NE shoulder of Drumderfit Hill there are the heavily overgrown remains of a dun measuring 13.4m by about 8.3m within a wall spread to a thickness of up to 3.6m; the entrance is on the NNE.

RCAHMS 1979, visited June 1979


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions