Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Edinburgh, 160 Canongate

Brewery (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 160 Canongate

Classification Brewery (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Sugarhouse Close; Scottish Brewers Limited; J And J Morison Ltd; Commercial Brewery

Canmore ID 135131

Site Number NT27SE 2898

NGR NT 26448 73715

NGR Description Centred on NT 26448 73715

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 2898.01 26413 73745 Offices


Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association ( set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (3 April 2002)

Shield carved in relief with a half-length lion rampant facing left, surrounded by thistle flowers and foliage. Scrollwork below shield. Whole set in panel at centre of oriel window (windows below and above).

Inspected By : A. Taubman

Inscriptions : On scroll work below shield (raised letters): PRO REGE

Signatures : None

Design period : c1860 (?)

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0544)

Excavation (10 December 2010 - 12 June 2012)

Headland Archaeology (UK) Ltd conducted a programme of archaeological works at 160 Canongate/Sugarhouse Close/41, 49, 53 Holyrood Road, Edinburgh. The programme of archaeological works comprised a mixture of historic building recording, targeted excavations and monitoring of ground reduction works and test pit excavations across the upper and lower terrace of the site. The results of this programme of archaeological works recorded 6 phases of activity across the site. The archaeological works across the site revealed three phases clearly pre-dating the construction of the brewery. The earliest phase of the site related to the multiple layers of garden soils, possibly associated with medieval and post-medieval activity on the site. A large well, cut into the bedrock, was also recorded to the N end of the site that may represent the earliest feature on the site. The remains of two stone walls may represent the only upstanding features associated with Phase 2 of the site. These walls are thought to indicate the location of the known sugar refinery that existed on this site between 1752 and the 1853. A layer of pottery rich clayey silt represented the only other clear evidence of the existence of a sugar refinery on this site. The large amount of pottery included frequent shards of sugar cones and syrup jars. The excavation of the site recorded various walls, floors, flues and culverts and discreet features associated with buildings linked to Phase 3 of the site. All these features were within buildings first depicted in the 1852 Ordnance Survey The historic building recording revealed that although the main fabric of the original brewery survived, much of the internal workings of this site had been either modified or completely removed. Four main phases (Phase 3 - 6) associated with the present buildings were identified.

Don Wilson, Headland Archaeology ltd. June 2012. OASis-id: headland1-128478


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions