Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

Bunchrew

Country House (17th Century)

Site Name Bunchrew

Classification Country House (17th Century)

Canmore ID 13485

Site Number NH64NW 5

NGR NH 6217 4591

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/13485

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kirkhill
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH64NW 5 6217 4591.

(NH 6217 4591) Bunchrew [NAT]

OS 6" map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1905)

Bunchrew, owned by the Frasers of Lovat in the early part of the 16th Century, was bought from them by John or Duncan Forbes, the father of President Forbes, in 1670. There used to be a moat round the house; also a drawbridge, the last arch of which fell into ruins abaout 1839.

ISSFC 1885.

The present house of Bunchrew was built in 1615 (Infromation from J O A Fraser MacKenzie, Bunchrew) It is a plain rectangular building c. 22m x c. 8m with crow-stepped gables and harled walls. In the 19th cent., extensive additions were added to the original building on its north and south sides. There is now no trace of the moat and drawbridge mentioned by Inverness Scientific Fld Club.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 28 March 1962.

Residential House; designed landscape

17th century AD; built 1615.

CFA/MORA Coastal Assessment Survey 1998.

Architecture Notes

Architect: W. L. Carruthers - alterations and additions - 1896-97

Activities

Field Visit (1996 - 2003)

Russell Coleman managed an Historic Scotland funded project to record medieval moated sites in Scotland. Gazetteers were produced for each regional council area between 1996 and 2002 with an uncompleted overall review in 2002-03. The results of the first year of the project were published in Tayside and Fife Archaeological Journal, Volume 3 (1997).

Field Visit (2013 - 2014)

The House is now a hotel.

Visited by Scotland's Coastal Heritage at Risk (SCHARP) 2013

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions