Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Elm Row, General

General View

Site Name Edinburgh, Elm Row, General

Classification General View

Alternative Name(s) Leith Walk

Canmore ID 134569

Site Number NT27SE 2859

NGR NT 2620 7459

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes


Architect: W H Playfair 1821

Plans: E.U.L Playfair Collection. 1821 - 23 sheets (P.8)


Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association ( set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (30 May 2002)

A group of (originally) eight stylised, larger-than-life bronze pigeons walk across or stand on a large paved area that is part of the broad pavement. The birds are arranged in a group of six walking towards the road, with the one at the back turning its head to look back at one pigeon hunkered down facing away from the group, its head sunk into the volume of its body.

Commissioned by landscape architects Turnbull Jeffrey Partnership, eight pigeons were originally placed on Elm Row in 1996, to complete the environmental improvements there. Funding came from Valvona and Crolla, Lothian and Edinburgh Enterprise Limited and the former Lothian Regional Council. They were cast by Powderhall Bronze, and each weighs 20lbs.

They were unveiled on 28 August 1996 when they were handed over to the City of Edinburgh Council.

Signatures : None

Year of unveiling : 1996

Unveiling details : Unveiled by Councillor Robert Cairns on 28 August 1996

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0372)


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions