Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Castlandhill House

Country House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Castlandhill House

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Hm Naval Base Rosyth; Rosyth Royal Dockyard

Canmore ID 134483

Site Number NT18SW 218

NGR NT 1189 8203

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map


Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Dunfermline
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife


Watching Brief (27 September 2010 - 20 May 2011)

Evaluation: A series of archaeological evaluations by trial trenching were undertaken in advance of the construction of the Forth Replacement Crossing . A number of discoveries during the evaluations led to further work. A total of 22 Land parcels were evaluated.

Headland Archaeology Ltd. (K. Dingwall, I Hill, J. Humble, E. Jones, D. Wilson) OASIS ID: headland1-136740

Trial Trench (19 April 2011 - 21 April 2011)

Headland Archaeology conducted an archaeological evaluation by trial trenching at Castlandhill House, NT 12041 81844 (centred), to assess the presence/absence of archaeological features in an area identified as having good archaeological potential in the Forth Replacement Crossing Environmental Statement (Jacobs Arup, 2009). The work was commissioned by Transport Scotland, managed and monitored by Jacobs Arup and undertaken in advance of the proposed commencement of construction works. A total of 5 trenches (84.75m2) were excavated comprising a 2.3% sample across the area. A small building was found in the south-eastern corner of the site. The trench was extended in order to identify the limits of the building, which established that it was rectangular in shape and had associated external features. The building is depicted on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1856 and is the southern gate lodge associated with the Castlandhill House to the north.

Information from Oasis (headland1-104153) 26 March 2013


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions