Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Aberdeen, 142 King Street

Club (21st Century), Office (19th Century), Villa (19th Century)

Site Name Aberdeen, 142 King Street

Classification Club (21st Century), Office (19th Century), Villa (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Eye Institution

Canmore ID 134460

Site Number NJ90NW 387

NGR NJ 94450 06690

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/134460

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeen, City Of
  • Parish Aberdeen
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District City Of Aberdeen
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ90NW 387 94450 06690

Site recorded during a general reconnaissance in advance of a prospective archaeological field survey of uncultivated or forest ground in the Aberdeen area. Site reports will be lodged with both Aberdeen SMR and the NMRS.

NJ 9445 0669 House and offices.

D I Harding 1997.

Site Management (11 September 2012)

2-storey and attic, 2-bay Classical former villa and offices with prominent central fluted Doric columned porch and pedimented blocking course. Reached from round-arched pend on King Street leading to small, cobbled courtyard. Wet harl. Piended dormers. Large, late 20th century extension to S. Now Social club (2006).

Some 4-pane timber sash and case windows, others boarded up. Grey slate. Gable stacks.

INTERIOR: not seen at time of resurvey (2006). Believed to be modernised.

Designed by renowned local architect John Smith as his residence and office, 142 King Street is now situated in a secluded courtyard and approached through a round-arched pend and across a cobbled courtyard. With its Doric porch and pedimented blocking course, the house maintains the Classical style which was prevalent in 19th century Aberdeen. Smith, with Archibald Simpson, was largely responsible for this Classical dominance within the city and here also chooses it for himself. The 1828 Wood Map of Aberdeen suggests that the villa originally had an open outlook towards the North-West.

John Smith (1781-1852), a native of Aberdeen, established himself in architectural practice in the city in 1804. He became the Master of Work in 1824 and designed many of Aberdeen's public buildings, showing an expertise in working with granite. With Archibald Simpson, (1790-1847), he was one of the major architects involved in designing the expanding nineteenth century city of Aberdeen. His other works include the Aberdeen Arts Centre and St Clement's East Church (see separate listings).

Currently in commercial use (2006).

References from previous list description: Aberdeen Directory, 1824. Chapman and Riley, p 148.

Category changed from B to C(S), 2007. (Historic Scotland)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions