Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

South Uist, Bornish House

Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name South Uist, Bornish House

Classification Township (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Bornais

Canmore ID 134232

Site Number NF73SW 12

NGR NF 7362 3004

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/134232

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish South Uist
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NF73SW 12 7362 3004

NF 7362 3004 A group of four small trenches were excavated in February 1995 to ascertain whether the site of Bornish House was the location of the medieval and post-medieval settlement of Upper Bornish. Large quantities of 19th-20th century refuse were found in three of the four trenches but only one trench (Trench 3), located immediately N of the present farmhouse, produced evidence for earlier activity. This consisted of a single small sherd of medieval/prehistoric pottery and several small sherds of probable early post-medieval pottery. In the light of these results it appears that the concentration of pre-clearance settlement at Bornish House, as shown on the Bold Map of 1805, is in error. The ruins of many houses S of the road, between the church and the hall, probably constitute this pre-clearance settlement. Whether its medieval precursor was a dispersed or nucleated settlement (Dodgson 1993) is unknown. A medieval building has been discovered at Dun Vulan; other possible locatoins for medieval settlement are the dun in Upper Loch Bornish and the site of the 19th century tacksman's house between Bornish House and Bornish Church.

M Parker Pearson and T Roper 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions