Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lewis, Eishken

Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lewis, Eishken

Classification Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Isginn

Canmore ID 134153

Site Number NB31SW 9

NGR NB 3259 1189

NGR Description centred on NB 3259 1189

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/134153

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Lochs
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Activities

Note

A township comprising one roofed, sixteen unroofed buildings, which are annotated as Ruins, two enclosures, one of which has three compartments and is annotated as Fangs, and what may be two phases of head-dyke is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire, Island of Lewis 1855, sheet 42). Ten roofed, two partially roofed buildings, five enclosures and the fragmentary remains of the head-dyke are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1972).

Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 27 June 1997

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions