Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lewis, Gravir

Grain Mill(S) (Period Unassigned), Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned), Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lewis, Gravir

Classification Grain Mill(S) (Period Unassigned), Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned), Township (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Grabhair

Canmore ID 134045

Site Number NB31NE 11

NGR NB 3879 1529

NGR Description centred on NB 3879 1529

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/134045

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Lochs
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Activities

Note

A township, a crofting township and two roofed Corn Mills are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire, Island of Lewis 1854, sheet 38). The township comprises twenty-eight roofed, one partially roofed, six unroofed buildings and a head-dyke. There are two blocks of crofts or plots to the E and the W of the burn named Gil Mhor. That to the E comprises eight roofed buildings and one unroofed building, and that to the W comprises eighteen roofed and two unroofed buildings.

Forty-one roofed, two partially roofed, thirty-six unroofed buildings and the fragmentary remains of the head-dyke are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1974).

Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 9 July 1997

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions