Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Hoy, Wee Fea

Building(S) (20th Century), Water Tank(S) (20th Century)

Site Name Hoy, Wee Fea

Classification Building(S) (20th Century), Water Tank(S) (20th Century)

Canmore ID 133625

Site Number ND29SE 2.01

NGR ND 29660 94489

NGR Description ND 29660 94489, ND 29602 94499 and ND 29611 94485

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/133625

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Orkney Islands
  • Parish Walls And Flotta
  • Former Region Orkney Islands Area
  • Former District Orkney
  • Former County Orkney

Archaeology Notes

ND29SE 2.01 29660 94489, 29602 94499 and 29611 94485

Orkney SMR References: OR 2390, OR 3070

Two unroofed brick and concrete buildings and a water tank are situated in a shelter belt of coniferous trees to the S of the track leading to the Signal Station (ND29SE 2.00). The water tank lies to the E of the buildings.

Both buildings have windw openings down each side elevation. That to the E has the N gable end missing whilst that to the W would appear to have had compartments.

Visited by RCAHMS (DE), August 1999

Activities

Orkney Smr Note

Large underground storage tanks for oil associated with the Royal Navy base at Lyness. Work started in 1936 to hollow out the hill of Wee Fea to provide a further 100,000 tons of oil storage (in addition to the above ground oil tanks at Lyness). The first tank was completed in 1942 and the sixth and final one in August 1943. The only visible signs of this abandoned facility are two tunnel mouths and the depp-water quay at Lyness which was formed from the spoil and named the Golden Wharf because of the cost of its construction.

Information from Orkney SMR [n.d.]

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions