Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Buckie Harbour, East Pier, Lighthouse

Beacon (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Buckie Harbour, East Pier, Lighthouse

Classification Beacon (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Buckie 1; Buckie Harbour, North Pier

Canmore ID 133252

Site Number NJ46NW 15.01

NGR NJ 42801 66035

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/133252

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Rathven
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Banffshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ46NW 15.01 42801 66035

Lighthouse [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1988.

Lighthouse (Occulting Red) [NAT]

OS (GIS) AIB, April 2006.

Not to be confused with leading light (beacon) at NJ 4309 6582, for which see NJ46NW 27.

Previously assigned in error to North Pier.

(Buckie 1: location cited as NJ 428 661). On end of E pier of Cluny Harbour (NJ46NW 15.00): 1874-80. Tall slightly-tapered circular-section concrete tower, with solid-walled gallery flared out. Small circular-section lantern with glazing on seaward side and domed top. In front, modern steel tripod with three electric units.

J R Hume 1997.

This light is not situated at the end of the pier but a short way along it to the E. This is presumably to allow it to act as a pair of leading lights with NJ46NW 27.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 20 April 2006.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions